Popular Gazebo Summer Concert Series Begins Tomorrow | Arts and life
NARRAGANSETT, RI – Entertainment is making a big comeback this summer, with Narragansett lining up its Gazebo summer concerts, beach movies, and beach concerts.
Many different acts and films are planned, starting tomorrow (June 11) until early September.
“We want people to go out and enjoy what Narragansett has to offer,” said Steve Wright, director of parks and recreation, of those annual entertainment traditions that have spanned years – if not decades, for some – as a way to bring the community together. .
He said of the ambiance: “People can sit outside, after work or on vacation, on the gazebo lawn or on the beach, enjoy a picnic and enjoy the friends, the beach. family and other members of the community. It’s about being outside.
These concerts, films and shows are open to the public with no entrance fees, officials said.
These summer entertainment series take place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and bring to the seaside venue various groups and individual artists, as well as films that may appeal to thrill seekers, nostalgia hunters and funny bones from the sea. ‘children.
“There really is something here for everyone. It’s planned that way, ”Wright said of the three-hit series that is making a comeback after its 2020 season of restrictions and attendance removed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
He said that with the lifting of restrictions – although anyone can wear a mask if they wish – he expects high demand to enjoy outdoor activities again with d ‘others will bring a large number of people to the events.
“I think people are absolutely hungry for this,” he said.
Offering insight into decision making for artists and films, Wright simply said, “We like to shake it up a bit.”
This means bringing in R&B players, country musicians and jazz artists, as well as singers who can appeal to generations who enjoyed the Everly Brothers, The Beatles and Rod Stewart. On the film side, the films vary in genre, but viewing by the ocean requires a “Shark Week” presentation.
Of course, this week will feature “Jaws”. The 1975 American thriller tells the story of a great man-eating white shark attacking beach goers in a summer resort town (filmed primarily near Martha’s Vineyard).
The attacks prompt the police chief to chase him away, with the help of a marine biologist and a professional shark hunter. There’s a lot of gore, gore, and suspense, all of it in the animation and directing from director Steven Spielberg, which has earned him high praise.
The film will be screened on Narragansett Beach, which borders the Atlantic Ocean and is home to the great white sharks featured in the film. Location, location, location – watching on a beach invites as much thrill as the movie itself.
Actual shark sightings, however, on this beach are rare, officials said.
Support for local businesses
Although city funds support these programs, Wright said, each has key sponsors. The Narragansett Lions Club and the Navigant Credit Union fund part of the Gazebo’s summer concerts. The Beach Movies are supported by the Narragansett Neighbors and Friends community group.
The main sponsor of Concerts on the Beach is Mott & Chase Sotheby’s International Realty.
The Gazebo Summer Concert Series is scheduled for Fridays at 6 p.m. in Gazebo Park and will run every Friday from tomorrow to September 3, except July 16 and 23, when the concerts are pre-empted by other events in the city.
Here is the program for this summer:
- June 11: Reckless Blues, classical swing, jazz, blues
- June 18: Big Boom Daddies, energetic classic rock, rockabilly, swing
- June 25: Mary Pierce – Celtic originals;
- July 2: Brass Attack – Dazzling horns, dynamic vocals, group of nine musicians, soul, rock, pop, Motown and R&B
- July 9: Dan Moretti & the Hammond Boys – Jazz
- July 30: Take It To The Bridge – energetic funk / rock cover band
- August 6: Black Tie Band – Classics
- August 13: James Montgomery Band – Blues
- August 20: Airplay Band – Top 40, R&B, oldies, jazz, funk, country rock
- August 27: CBD – Voice, local group
- September 3: Jesse Liam Band – Everly Brothers, Beatles, Rod Stewart
Beach movies are scheduled Wednesdays at dusk at the Cabana Horseshoe on Narragansett Town Beach. Here are the selected films:
- June 30: “Beauty and the Beast” from Disney
- July 7: “Trolls World Tour”
- July 14: “The father of the bride” (1950)
- July 21: “Dolittle”
- July 28: “Ghost hunters”
- August 4: “Forward”
- August 11: Shark Week – “Jaws”
- August 18: “Remember the Titans”
- August 25: “Captain Marvel”
Beach concerts are scheduled Mondays at 6:30 p.m. at the North Beach Clubhouse Deck, featuring the following performers:
- July 12: Driftwood
- July 19: Avenue A
- July 26: Nightlife Orchestra
- August 2: Neal and the vipers
- August 9: The Ravers
- August 16: Paula Clare Band
- August 23: Silver Arrow Ring
- August 30: Kings of hearts